03 August 2008

Flowers, glue gun and creations

Hubz 1st Cuz is getting married on 08.08 (on Lil D's Bday) and I was given the grand task to *drumroll* design/gubah hantaran lol!.. yes moi! (as a background it is customary in Malay Weddings to have an exchange of gifts /hantaran between the couple , do check out the link.. some pretty designs :-)) ...only two gubahan mind you because the general consensus was that each will bring home 2 to complete, if I had to do all 11 *faint*!

I do not dabble in the arts and crafts because you will find me either with lil'D, reading or in front of my Lappy most times. Growing up I loved to draw and sketch have an appreciation of arts and design but thats about it..on the other hand my Mom lovesssss this stuff.. the hantaran for my wedding and most in the family was done by her. My Mom loves art , she draws , paints, does Copper art once a upon a time and of course her flower arranging. I think some of that interest does rub off on me.. and it emerges when I am challenged with such task. I do love how designers work.. I know how it excites me when O, my colleague and resident designer is in the middle of her creative mode..I wish sometimes I am in a different profession.. perhaps I will explore it in future but for now will stick it out with what I've got ..perhaps future plans on the side and later on something to fall back on when I retire ..now that will be ways away but you know what they say .. you gotta think of the future !

Anyhoo.. back to the hantaran..I was tasked to design/gubah two trays (dua dulang) the dulang for watch and purse and a dulang for makeup and toiletries. You must appreciate that I have never done one from scratch before.. so what does a girl do ? pour into magazines and surf the net to find ideas and some tips as to how its done. I came across a few and there are a wealth of information in terms of ideas of designs etc.

I traipsed to the local haberdashery for some trimmings styrofoam glue gun butterflies etc etc and assigned the best time to put the stuff I got as well as the stuff that was given to me together... saturday PM while Lil'D was taking his nap I started assembling.. I tell ya . . the glue gun was the bestest invention ever for this stuff hehe I love it! I started at 1.40pm ..the creatives juices just flow and by 4.45pm I was done. Lil'D woke up in between so had to entice him with juice for him to play with his nanny downstairs before I can finish up..

The result..two creations that are not too shabby even if I say so myself.. though it was erm.. not proffesional but I think it has its charm. The 1st creation a basket that I had to "dress" with organza and trimmings including ribbons and flowers with the makeup in a box and perfume and assorted lip gloss etc laid in the basket filled with tissue paper and organza to cover it and around it as fillers to add more dazzle, crystal flowers glued on to the Organza in the basket and the 2nd creation was a styrofoam tray with flowering shrubs and flowers with butterflies grazing around it, the watch was double sided taped on top of a box which I wrapped with crepe paper and glue gunned on the styrofoam base scattered around are crystal flowers . The Groom's sister liked it so I shall just take it as acceptable work. ..can't post the pics yet on account of not being able to find DigCam cable to upload pics but no worries will bug hubz tomorrow. Once its uploaded will post it !


*updated 050808*

As promised here are the pics folks.. I know I know much ado about nothing right but can't help but be proud its my first attempt hehe..excuse the poor quality of the pics ..enjoy \o/ erm.. what do u think should I embelish/vamp it up more? still got time :P

The creations!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehe..yes, i would love to see photos! I'm sure it was very well put together, plus its also the thought that counts that you put ur good efforts into it! =) heheee..

Zed said...

oh gosh am nervous now.. but since the groom's sis liked it I will take it as is heheh.. you are right its the thought that counts but I hope it looks good in pictures too!

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to the pics! :D

Zed said...

Theatrical Mama.. thanks for dropping by :) and enjoy the pics.. erm..yeah not lah very classy but it was the best I can do in the circumstances heheh..wish I could come up with something more pretty !

Anonymous said...

your hantaran is gorgeous~~!! i can see your effort and COLOUR in it~! xoxo..! I'm proud of you! hehhe...

Zed said...

Liv, haiyooo ww try to do what we can lah.. but what do you think can I make a career out of it ? lol~~~!!

Cat Woman said...

two thumbs up for your maiden creations!!! can explore alternative career he he he

BTW - happy birthday to little D
hope to see u when u r down in KL - bila dah?