21 July 2008

Where is the love..

It has been sometime since I last updated this chamber of my thoughts..from getting flu , which was also caught by lil D on top of work and politics at work.. I find myself extremely exhausted .. no energy even to vent.. add that with a dash of Malas and a touch of escapism in the form of Japanese drama online that maketh the lack of entries.

I miss blogging as it is a form of therapy for me..so here I am..this entry is a vent entry if you are not in the mood to read about the mad rantings of Z sila click X or go surf another blog. You have been forewarned.

Now where shall I start.. I will be flying off to the Capital of Malaysia in a months time for a conference and are so looking forward to it. The procedure to adhere before you can go to such conference in this place of work are as follows :

1) Fill up a training form with conference/course/meeting title and the justifications of why you simply must go to this one as opposed to tonnes others that is on offer. That requires time and effort
2) Send said form to your Boss for approval and support
3) Said form will be presented in the training committee's meeting
4) Said Committee will approve/disprove and later get the big guy (CEO) to sign off for the big go.

In my case the committee doesn't see the need for me to learn more about corporate governance but the big guy decided to approve and i get to go anyway. However, that's just simply not the issue.. the issue was the lodgings that I was supposed to be booked in during the conference. I received my approval letter one fine day and what did I see , I am supposed to stay 15 mins away from the venue of the conference which is a hotel itself..what the mackerel! Imagine the inconvenience.

Being concerned I proceeded to clarify this matter with my training head and his reasonings was initially "oh we dont have corporate rate "..but when quized on how much difference he said oh about $40 ..I said I would gladly pay the difference and he say that would be up to me..but he said we are just trying to save money for the company.. He said if you stay at the hotel we picked for you it would be easy for you to shop.. I told him in no uncertain terms that that was simply just not the issue!

When asked what was my entitlement in terms of lodgings he became defensive ..he very firmly and clearly told me to my face that I am not entitled to stay in the same hotel of the conference unless I am a GM. I asked when was this policy imposed because I remember going for another conference not too long ago and was allowed to stay in the same venue as the conference. Training head became defensive and said that is then this is now. He clearly couldn't answer when the policy was made , it certainly was never disseminated to the staff.

What really bugged me was the idiotic reasoning's behind it all.. can you imagine the difference between the supposed lodgings and venue lodgings was just $40 . That amount would be what I roughly would incur in cab fairs in any case especially with the increase of petrol . How is that savings if that really is the real contention. Getting back to training head, he told me to bring my grievance to the HR &Training GM.. So I did. She got a shock to hear about the so called policy (she denied ever making that policy) she promptly changed my lodgings to venue lodgings and instructed Training head to rectify and start booking. Victory for Z but I hated having to do that..I mean imagine had i just accepted the decision I would have to endure the inconvenience of it all.

I thought that was the end of that...5.15pm HR & training GM rang me to convey the message that my particular lodging is booked to the brim and that they are trying to get help from the embassy to secure booking..I mean haiyooo seriously.. I told her that wont be necessary as I had bestie whom I am sure could check out room availability for me. I just had the feeling that this whole little affair has been blown out of proportions its just stupid. Immediately after texting bestie she rang and said yup there are rooms available I mean duh! I suddenly felt like its me against the world and like they are trying to make life difficult for me, would'nt you feel the same way ? Anyway I got that sorted out and yes now I do have a booking reference phew..

Somehow the exchange of words and the whole affair affected me.. spoilt my mood for the weekend in a way as that was at the back of my mind constantly. I know I should not let it get to me but ..cant help it.. anyhoo..training head is all smiley smiley to me lately and asked me if my accomodations are sorted.. whatever..this would probably be the last training I would volunteer myself to go for.. just to save me from the Agro.

That happend the week before..I felt that no matter how proffesional you are or how prompt you are in responding to tasks and resolving tasks people dont really give a toss out of some misguided need to make sure their work is done (as long as they dont get blamed) without really assessing the situation. Cest la vie! I just have to live with it for the time being I guess.

Overall feeling for the week : dissapointment

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hotel booking pun mesti through embassy kah? hehe dapat kali enquiry directly to the hotel hehehe

Zed said...

Neng..iatah kan..her people yang inda buat keraja properly ..it was nice of her to ring me personally instead of her training head hehehe..

Anonymous said...

i just read ur post...why am i not surprised???

Zed said...

O... ahuhhh... exactly!